Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a diagnosed Loculated Pleural Effusion. I've had it

Customer Question

I have a diagnosed Loculated Pleural Effusion. I've had it for some time and my surgeon just scheduled surgery for a week from now. Today I awoke with a bit of a soar throat and had a cough. Cough has lasted on the past 14hrs, now I'm coughing up blood. Not tons but probably a tablespoon total in the last hour or two. I was very cautious to choose the surgeon I have and really want him to to the surgery, don't hate to rush to the ER if not needed and them push me into having the surgery imediatly with some other surgeon. From what I can read it seems as though I may have just busted a vessel or something since my lung is compromised anyway. Should I wait a while or go straight to ER now?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
At this amount of coughing and bleeding, it is not necessary that you be seen in the emergency room. The most worrisome reason that you might need emergency care would be if you were to start developing any shortness of breath. Some mild shortness of breath may be felt with coughing, but if you have significant shortness of breath, that would be more concerning and you should be seen emergently.
Significant bleeding would also require more urgent surgery than waiting for a week. However, it would require far more than a tablespoon of blood to warrant urgent surgery. If the bleeding were to significantly increase, to about 1/2 to 1 cup, that would be worrisome and you should be seen.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have no more shortness of breath than I had already given the effusion. What's concerning most to me is that the coughing has gotten worse when I started bleeding and I can hear that lung rattling I assume from the blood, but I guess that wouldn't take to much. I've coughed up around a quarter of a cup at this point but it a lot of saliva in the container, I would assume at least 3/4 of it
The volume of saliva, mucus, or sputum would not be the concern. It would only be the amount of blood that would be concerning.
The cough, itself, is not something for which you would need to be seen emergently. It would be OK to take an over the counter cough medicine, such as guaifenesin or dextromethorphan, to try to ease the coughing as long as the worrisome symptoms do not develop.