Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I accidentally mixed my medication with someone else's and

Customer Question

I accidentally mixed my medication with someone else's and took 2 propranolol 80mg
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Do you take a beta blocker normally of any type?? You may help to check your pulse rate and if possible blood pressure...

1) It is ok in this situation if recently taken to induce vomiting and see if you may expel any pill fragments

2) This is not a huge dose ...it may be lowering your heart rate and lower blood pressure -- if you had certain heart conditions it could be of some danger at that dose but this would be harmless in most individuals ...lower heart rate to pulse of 50s may be expected but would in most individuals be tolerated and not of a very threatening nature...

3) It may be of value to consult poison control as they have computerized data on all manner of substances and treatment guides . .ER Physicians use this resource all the time

4) you may go to ER but the dose is not what I would consider to be that dangerous except in very sensitive individuals ....

I hope that this information is helpful for you Let me know if I may be of further help.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I take 200mg trazadone in the evening nameda in the afternoon and diazapan 10mg in the morning and evening. I haven't taken my night meds because of the mix up. I checked my blood pressure first was 116/63 pulse 68 now it is 131/54 pulse 61.

Hello again,

How long ago did you take the Propranolol? Your pulse and blood pressure look ok currently diastolic of 54 is a bit low ...do you have anyone with you??

How are you feeling?? Feel well ?? Light headed ??

I would agree to hold off for now on further potentially sedating medicines of Trazedone or Valium....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am with others. Tired and fighting to stay awake. But it could be because I am normally sleeping right now and have been up since 4am. I took it at 830pm it's 930 now.

Hello again,

Ok since you took dose 1 hour ago DO NOT try to attempt vomiting ...

Dose has had enough time to dissolve and be mostly absorbed.

I think you are about 1 hour prior to peak blood concentration...I would advise that your pulse and blood pressure be monitored over next 2 hours ...the pulse and blood pressure should reach minimum during this time and slowly rise ---

The propranolol itself is not usually highly sedating but your normal sleepiness plus low blood pressure may cause you to be drowsy ...

It is a non critical situation but you may feel more comfort to be monitored at ER...IF so that would be fine....you need a period of monitoring is the main thing here.....

A couple cups of coffee would serve to slightly quicken pulse back toward normal...that would be fine if you choose

I hope that this is helpful.Let me know if you have further questions.Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD