Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My husband ran a 4 mile race today he complained it is too

Customer Question

My husband ran a 4 mile race today he complained it is too much and I took his temperature at 98.1 and his pulse at 79 and blood pressure 170/80 while lying down. He said his chest hurt while running and he's 5'8" at 230pds ... I don't know how to read the vitals I took ! Can you help?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

He is having a high blood pressure. This along with the chest pain means that he needs to be immediately seen in the emergency. They will do an electrocardiogram and if required the necessary medications may be given which can be very beneficial to avoid complications. Please go to the emergency now.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately he does not want to go and insists he's ok and will go to work tomorrow, maybe I can get him in for a check up on his day off Friday ... Any suggestions? Is this why he is chronically exhausted, a symptom of hypertension is it?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Yes this could be due to hypertension. Hypertension may cause various symptoms such as headaches, shortness of breath, or nosebleeds, but these signs and symptoms are not specific for hypertension. They can occur in other conditions as well. Hence investigations have to be done.
Again his blood pressure needs to be checked on Friday, and if consistently he has high blood pressure, then he may need to start on medications and diet and lifestyle changes.
Take care.