Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am bringing up Flem and have a lack of energy

Customer Question

I am bringing up green Flem and have a lack of energy
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
How long has this been bothering you?
Are you having any shortness of breath?
Do you smoke?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.
The duration and symptoms and smoking history would suggest the most likely cause of symptoms. For example, these symptoms of short duration in a non-smoker is most likely due to a viral bronchitis, but a longer duration in a smoker would suggest chronic bronchitis as a cause. Although smokers can also get viral infections, they are at risk for having a bacterial infection, either as a primary infection or contributing to an exacerbation of chronic bronchitis. If there is concern about a bacterial infection, then antibiotics would be appropriate, whereas if the problem is more inflammatory, a short course of oral steroids may be appropriate.
I ask about whether there is shortness of breath because that would guide whether someone should be seen urgently, regardless of the cause. Even if the underlying cause is a viral infection, it is appropriate to be seen urgently if there is significant shortness of breath.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.