DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I tested positive in a previous employment drug screen. I

Customer Question

I tested positive for oxazepam in a previous employment drug screen. I have never in my life taken a valuim. I had a prescription for xanax and stopped with those about a month ago. I explained that to tester. He said xanax doesn't metabolize the same as valuim. So I must have taken a valuim, but I haven't, never, not even accidentally. Obviously they don't believe me. I'm being denied employment for testing positive for a drug I've never taken. Any ideas why?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
employment blood screens do confirmatory testing, in which the drug is sent for GC/MS testing. This identifies the exact drug.
If they did not do this testing they can't accuse you of anything.
If they did,then either you took the drug, or they mixed up samples.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a urine test. I have no idea if they sent it to gc/ms. The Dr I talked too wasnt very friendly. I asked them to re test or I give another sample. He said no. I'm telling your prospective employer that you had a positive drug screen and that was the end of conversation..
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
My answer is the same.
If they did not send the sample for GC/MS, then it is not valid.
If they did, and if the confirmatory testing was done, and if you did not do the drug, then the only possibility was mixing up samples and results.
You have a right to these results.
If the doctor was not a DOT medical officer, then the testing might not be valid.
If he was rude and refused to provide information, I would report that to DOT.
OK, so that is an initial answer….