Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have PCOS and had 3 cysts rupture on my left ovary. I

Customer Question

Hi Dr. I have PCOS and had 3 cysts rupture on my left ovary. I can't take any kind of NSAID because I am a Gastric Bypass patient. Is there anything that can be prescribed to help with the pain and discomfort.
Thanks
Heather
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
If you are asking whether anything can be prescribed through this site, then the answer is no.
However, if you are asking whether there is anything that can be prescribed by your doctor, the answer is yes, although the options will vary according to the pattern of the pain.
How often does this pain bother you?
How long does the pain last?
For example, is this pain only bothersome for short periods of time and then there is no pain until another ruptured cyst?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.
If the pain is occurring in the pattern noted in the example above, such as short periods of significant pain at the time of a ruptured cyst with no pain until the next ruptured cyst, then the usual approach would be to use a mild to moderate potency opiate. The most commonly used would be codeine or hydrocodone, either of which are prescribed as combination products along with acetaminophen.