DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Got diagnosed with acute colitus. Got put on Cipro and

Customer Question

Got diagnosed with acute colitus. Got put on Cipro and flagyl. How long until the symptoms go away?
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know why this category is under urologist. But I'm looking for a gastroenterologist. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

The symptoms should have subsided by now.

So, the infection may not have been gone fully.

Hence, the antibiotic course should be extended by a week.

Also stool tests should be ordered including C difficile.

C difficile infection will require different antibiotic.

Please also start taking a probiotic daily.

Culturelle is one such example.

Probiotics replace the lost intestinal flora and your symptoms will improve faster.

Please follow a soluble fiber diet.

Only eat well cooked easily digestible food for now.

Yes you should see your doctor to discuss this further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HIthanks for the answer. But I am really looking for a gastroenterologist, as stated on the question. I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything. I don't know why this is under the urologist topic.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Your question is in medical category now--- I have plenty of experience in Gastroenterology--I was requested to answer your queries.

I will be glad to answer any follow up question you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New Expert Please: Gastroenterologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please opt out.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
this is a different, double board certified, US expert.
GI is one of the sub specialties in my board certification and I am required to test and train in this area.
I am also board certified in integrative medicine, with further advanced training in GI beyond the regular certification.
What question do you have at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hithanks for replying. My question is: I Got diagnosed with acute colitus. Got put on Cipro and flagyl. How long until the symptoms go away? Before starting on the antibiotics I was using the bathroom 10 times a day and I had a fever. Now its been almost 10 days since I've got put on antibiotics and I'm almost out of antibiotics and I'm going to the bathroom about 4-5 times a day, I don't got a fever though (fever went away the next day I got put on antibiotics). I'm not sure what to do at this point. Why am I still going to the bathroom 4-5 times a day? Thanks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HI
First of all, acute colitis is not a diagnosis, it is a description.
The question is , what caused the colitis.
In most instances, antibiotics are not the correct treatment.
In diverticulitis, you should see positive results within 5 days.
If not, you are not being treated correctly.
This could be viral, inflammatory bowel, parasites, etc. and the antibiotics will do not good.
The combination you are on is typical for a diagnosis of diverticulitis.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they gave me a lower CT abdominal scan and say there was inflammation. I also had a fever in the emergency room.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
that still does not diagnose anything.
they have apparently diagnosed the findings as diverticulosis.
At this point, I would report to your doctor, and ask that you get a copy of the scan report.
IF they saw diverticulosis....and inflammation, then that supports the diagnosis.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.