Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm currently 62, in my earlier yrs (teens -late 30's I had

Customer Question

I'm currently 62, in my earlier yrs (teens -late 30's I had a very beautiful falsetto singing voice, I could reach very high octaves with no problem, I can still hit certain high notes but others, not so much, I never smoked or use alcohol, and I'm not experiencing any normal problems, but now that I'm retiring and will have the time I would like to sing again professionally. What could be the problem.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The most common reason that someone who formerly was able to singe falsetto can no longer do so is because of problems affecting the larynx or lungs. The most common are related to smoking, but there are certain conditions that can happen in non-smokers that also can affect the larynx, such as acid reflux.
However, if you are certain that you do not have any health problems and have never smoked, there is a greater likelihood that this is related to a reduction in muscle strength with aging. To some extent, all skeletal muscles get weaker as you get older, although the rate of decline is faster as people get beyond 40-50 years of age. In most cases, it is not that the muscles are so weak that it will be impossible to achieve falsetto, but that there needs to be more exercises and strengthening of the muscles to be able to do it.
So, the usual response if there is no medical condition that is contributing to the issue is to emphasize exercises to strengthen the muscles, which may be more of a possibility once you are retired.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.