Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I just swallowed a Spiriva capsule, what should I do?

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It is not a problem that the Spiriva was swallowed, in that it is not toxic. The reason it is advised that the Spiriva should not be swallowed is that the medicine will not work when swallowed. Since the Spiriva is used for lung disease, using a medicine in a manner that will not work can be dangerous because of the severity of the lung disease, but not because of the toxicity of swallowed Spiriva.
There is nothing that needs to be done about the swallowed Spiriva, but you may need to take an inhaled dose of the Spiriva, particularly if the lung disease is causing a greater severity of symptoms.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.