DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Diabetes nutritionist, Dad missed morning Glipize and

Customer Question

Diabetes nutritionist, Dad missed morning Glipize and Januvia. Will it be bad to take it with the evening dinner? We are going out for Pizza for the first time in a few weeks. I have been diligent keeping his food low carb except for today when he had his first 1/2 a banana in weeks.
His glucose test readings today were; (Before the 1/2 banana and One tbsp grass fed cream with espresso) 10am -125
before lunch and after 2 oz of whey protein and 1 teasp fish/flax oil ) 11am - 178
4:20pm - 158
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Thanks for requesting me.
In situations like this, he can take it in the evening and tomorrow, talk with his doctor and more than likely continue his regular schedule.
This depends on what his readings are.
He will have to monitor his blood sugar closely.
If he can not do this, someone will need to be with him.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I gave you his readings today... don't you see them?

11am - 178 (after he had a 2 oz of whey protein and 1 teasp fish/flax oil )
4:20pm - 158 ( taken 2.30 hr after having a Starbucks chicken salad sandwich and coffee with a little milk instead of cream and sucralose)

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
But that has nothing to do with monitoring him tonight and in the morning.
You might consider only giving him the januvia and holding the gliberide until you talk to his doctor.
An you might consider talking to his doctors answering service now, so they know about this.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is the fear that his blood glucose becomes too low by taking the doses now and again in the morning? But maybe he needs it with pizza and wine or beer if he argues about that

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
We are not going to be able to manage this for you.
The main concern is that he not get hypoglycemic.
A glucose of 200 will not hurt him if temporary.
Hypoglycemia will.
He might well be able to simply continue on his normal schedule in the morning, but, his meds can be adjust ed then based on his blood sugars, by people who have been managing his case.
Make sure that whatever decision you make, that his doctors answering service is informed so that they can tell the doctor on call, or better yet, talk with the doctor on call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand... I'm just trying to NOT be a terrible controlling daughter and constantly be managing his every bite.
His LDL cholesterol was between 88-120 and HDL was 35 prior to getting 5 stents last year. He's not fat but not thin. He has alot of weight around his belly.
I'm concerned of artery inflammation and lack of oxegen to his brain and lack of energy. He plays ping pong with gusty but struggles with neck pain from arthritis in neck region.
I don't expect you to manage this. I just want to understand so I can help choose the meal. The doc won't get back to me fast enough
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
All of this has no real bearing on the current question, except to emphasize that he needs to be cared for correctly.
Hence, talking to his doctor about the plan at this point, or having him do it, would be ideal..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Too late.. We're eating now
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I see no problem with him eating.
Same answers.