Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I had a "mini-stroke" six years ago, a tia, with no

Customer Question

I had a "mini-stroke" six years ago, a tia, with no recurrence. It was a so-called "cryptogenic" event -- I was 58 at the time, but had and have low blood pressure, excellent cholesterol levels (according to my MD), and exercise reasonably if not aggressively (I average a good, vigorous two mile walk per day -- and am capable of a lot more without exhausting myself. On my summer vacations I regularly take vigorous walks of up to 5 miles.)
Again, the stroke event of six years ago was minor -- my arm went dead for around ten minutes.
It was determined immediately after the event that I had a PFO -- somewhat on the larger side. It was closed through a procedure. My physicians, including some pretty good doctors, decided they could take me off coumadin (which they had put me on for a while as a precautionary measure.) Now I just take a 325 mg. of Ecotrim per day.
After I experienced some chest pains a couple of years ago, I had the procedure (I forget the name) where they explored my blood vessels and found I was actually in pretty good shape in that department for a (then) 62-63 year old; maybe 8-10% blockage of the relevant vessels. The doctor performing that procedure said not to worry about anything HE had found.
I like my doctors, but am sitting here this weekend fretting anew, because I am responsible for the care of a 12-yr.-old and am deathly worried about something happening to me before I get him launched, at least into college. Is there any general prognosis you can advise me of, six years out from my one episode? I understand the question may seem frivolous, but I suddenly felt the need to talk to someone.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
I can understand your worry.
you have advanced age and health issues before
it sounds like you had a cardiac catheterization a couple of years ago
that is good your heart blood vessels are in good shape
you should make sure your blood pressure is normal and your cholesterol levels are normal as well
make sure you take your aspirin or ecotrin with food already in your stomach.
there is no way to predict the future
work towards exercising regularly and eating healthy with more fruits and vegetables and less red meat
and you will keep yourself healthier for a longer period of time.
let me know if you have questions.