Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been continually having diarrhea 6 months. I thought

Customer Question

I have been continually having diarrhea for about 6 months. I thought maybe I have a candida overgrowth. I am always tired anf hardly have energy. My stools are completely yellow and also has red specks in them that look like tomatoe skins. I am a 33 year old male and have never had medical issues. Im starting to feel like this will never go away I am not in any pain but always feel like i need to be close to the bathroom. My rectum seems to gurgle a lot as well. It is affecting my everyday life and gives me issues with going into work as well. I haven't eaten any sugar and am on a steady protein, fiber and vegetable diet. I only drink water, no sodas at al. Everyday I am taking apple cider vinegar, and coconut oil, along with diometrius earth about twice a week. I have recently began to have excessie belching and extremely sharp back pain to go along with my diarrhea. I took probiotics for 8 weeks as well and it did not help out. Please help! Thankyou in advance.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Have you had any evaluation for this?
For example, have you had blood tests of the liver and pancreas, a stool culture, colonoscopy, or a gallbladder ultrasound done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not done any of the above. I cannot afford it unfortunately. I have no pain like i said except for mid back. I believe i am to young to be having problems of pancreas or liver issues. I just don't like having diarrhea and or soft stools all the time. Iff of the top of your head can you think of anything that causes yellow diarrhea with tomato like skin in it. And what can i try?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not eat gluten, i am not an excessive drinker though i have binge drank in the past. I am just at a lose for words. I have no idea what this could be other than Candida overgrowth. As far as the pancreas my father did have pancreatic cancer and had a full whipple procedure done. However it seems for my age any of those issues would be to early in life if they were going to occur.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not expecting a diagnosis which i know is impossible to do especially over the internet I am just asking for some thoughts and a general idea of what might be going on. Intestinal issues and stomach problems are so difficult to diagnose unfortunately i cannot afford to go to the doctors office and get an IBS answer.
There are many possible causes of diarrhea consisting of yellow stool with red specks. Yellow stool is a non-specific change that solely indicates that a rapid transit time through the gut and red specks can represent small amounts of blood or tissue.
While Candidal overgrowth can cause diarrhea, it would not be a common cause in someone of your age, unless there has been a need for chronic antibiotic use. The most common cause at your age would be a functional disorder of the gut, such as irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS. However, there is no test to confirm the diagnosis, so the diagnosis is usually made by excluding other possible causes.
From the perspective of overgrowth, a bacterial overgrowth is more common than a Candidal overgrowth. Another concern that can happen in young adults would be inflammatory bowel disease, such as ulcerative colitis or Crohns disease.
It is possible to have gallbladder or pancreatic dysfunction that presents as diarrhea. You are correct that it would be unusual for pancreatic cancer to arise at your age, but inflammatory disease or gallstones would be more common causes at your age.
It is also possible to get chronic diarrhea from food intolerances, but you have already eliminated gluten. Lactose intolerance is also very common, but it is also possible to be intolerant of fructose or artificial sweeteners.
Treatment is generally oriented towards the underlying cause, which is why an appropriate evaluation is important. Without an evaluation, it is appropriate to eat a large amount of fiber, about 25-35 grams per day, along with about 64 oz of water per day. It also would be fine to use probiotics if they had been helpful. Any further interventions, though, would require clarification of the underlying cause.