Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I went to the drs yesterday sinus infection ive had week.

Customer Question

I went to the drs yesterday for bad sinus infection ive had for a week. ..he gave me antibiotics. .but now a day.later the pain in my top teeth on one side are causing excruciating pain...I cant take it...what do I do
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Which antibiotic and dose are you taking?
Are you taking any other medicines, either for this or any other medical problem?
I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.
It is common for a sinus infection to cause pain that feels like it is coming from an upper tooth. The floor of the maxillary sinuses is located immediately above the roots of the upper teeth, so the pain can be felt as tooth pain.
There are a couple options that can be considered in this situation.
Depending on the antibiotic and dose, it may be possible to take a higher dose of the antibiotic.
It also may help to take an antihistamine/decongestant medicine, to relieve inflammation and congestion within the sinus. I ask about other medicines to determine whether you are already taking an antihistamine/decongestant, but also to be certain that you are not taking a medicine that can adversely interact with an antihistamine/decongestant.
It is also fine to take an over the counter pain medicine. It does not directly treat what is happening in the sinuses, but it may help to ease pain.
Some people can get some relief by gentle irrigation of the nose and sinuses with warm salt water, such as with a Netipot. If the nose and sinuses are more tender because of the infection, this may be too uncomfortable, but it is an option to consider if other interventions are not helpful.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.