Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was climbing pikes peak (14,000 ft) in colorado springs

Customer Question

Hi. I was climbing pikes peak (14,000 ft) in colorado springs today and camped there last night at 12000 ft. I'm currently in Wyoming at 5000 ft and feel dizzy. I recently drank 32 punches of green tea. Am I dehydrated? Or expire cong altitude sickness?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
If you have only developed symptoms once you are now at 5000 ft in altitude, this would not be altitude sickness. It would be more likely that this is due to dehydration.
Altitude sickness would cause symptoms to develop as the altitude is increasing and would resolve as you get below 8000 ft.
At this point, it would be better to increase fluid intake that contains electrolytes, such as fruit juices or sports drinks. And you would likely need at least 64 oz. of these fluids, and possible 96-128 oz, over the next 24 hours.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.