Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My wife had hypothyroid didn't take any medication but her

Customer Question

My wife had hypothyroid didn't take any medication for it but her blood level is normal now but she has lots of side effects
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Do you have the results of her most recent blood tests and whatever blood tests previously showed that she was hypothyroid?
When you say she has side effects, do you mean that she has developed symptoms from the thyroid disease?
What side effects has she developed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Depression fatigue libido cold thinning hair very tensed headache
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was hyper around November then hypo on February she refused to go on medication
Thank you for the additional information.
The most common cause of thyroid disease is an autoimmune inflammation of the thyroid. One of the patterns of manifestations of thyroid disease is that when the inflammation first starts, the person will be hyperthyroid, as hormone is pushed out of the thyroid, and then later evolves into hypothyroidism, as the gland has no more reserved hormone and is unable to manufacture sufficient hormone to keep up with demand.
The treatment that would be recommended would be based upon the most recent lab test results.
The symptoms that you describe are common symptoms with hypothyroidism, although some people can have paradoxical symptoms. They will usually resolve with proper treatment, but she has to be willing to take the medicines that would be involved in treatment.
If the symptoms are not as bothersome to her and the blood tests are only mildly abnormal or borderline, then it would be OK to not undergo treatment. But if the symptoms are more bothersome and it is desired to get rid of the symptoms, then the next step would be to take medicines as guided by the most recent blood test results.
Since it is ultimately her decision of whether to take medicine, the most that you can do is encourage her to begin treatment so that she will feel better.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we married for 12 years we have three kids we had a beautiful life but since her stage of hypothyroid she is totally aggressive person with me and the kids she wants to do lots of changes she blames her sickness on me all the she reads weired books at the beginning of her hypo stage in your dreams will take those pill she didn't want it to go the way she's beside all that she's a doctor
Sometimes doctors are the worst patients, but you can still only encourage her to seek the recommendation of her doctor or to see an Endocrinologist. If there is a significant amount of friction within your relationship with her, then it also may be helpful to seek counseling.