Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am 38 and have recently noticed an abrupt change in my

Customer Question

I am 38 and have recently noticed an abrupt change in my normal cycle. I've been getting periods every 25-26 days like clockwork for years. About 3 months ago I got my period on the 23rd day, then the next cycle it came on the 28th day and then the next
it came again on the 23rd day. I have tracked my fertility for months so I am usually aware of when I ovulate. I've noticed that when I get my period on the 23rd day I start to have egg white mucus on the 7th day of my cycle. In fact it's still tinged with
blood from my period. Usually after ovulation I dry out but the last cycle I had lots of eggwhite mucus almost throughout the entire cycle. And I've noticed it is yellowish now as opposed to clear but still very stretchy and slippery. It looks like snot (sorry).
There is no odor, no itchiness or anything like that. Since this has begun I have been under extreme stress dealing with marital issues and I've also started a very vigorous exercise regimen. Could it be stress? As I mentioned I've been having marital problems
so I'm also concerned if I should be concerned of an STD. Do some STD's produce shorter menstrual cycles and yellow tinged odorless egg white discharge?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

No this is not likely STD related --not known to cause shorter menstrual cycles.

These changes are due to the hormonal fluctuations.

You should get your thyroid function checked first.

Estrogen and progestin levels also can vary causing these changes.

Should settle down over time slowly.

As the stress goes down, you will notice gradual improvement.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today.

If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask.

I am here to answer them.

I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I might add that an hour ago I felt a sudden large amount of discharge with cramps and went to the bathroom and saw it was bright red blood tinged. Strands of blood. And since then if I strain or have a bowel movement more clear discharge with strands of blood come out.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

This just suggest bleeding blood vessels in the uterus lining.

They are not closing as expected normally.

Likely progesterone deficiency.

I will suggest you to see a gynecologist for further evaluation.

You can be given a high dose progesterone challenge to stop the bleeding.

If needed endometrial biopsy also should be considered in case bleeding continues.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could this be a sign of cancer?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Well i will not jump to that rightaway since benign causes are much more common.

Endometrial biopsy will rule out any endometrial cancer.

Best wishes