Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

German, Three years ago I had surgery where 12inches ofmy

Customer Question

Hi Dr.German, Three years ago I had surgery where 12inches ofmy intestinesand part of my colon was removed and I am still having problem with terrible smelling gas and I was wondering what kind of food to eat that will keep me from having this gas Peggy
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for contacting Justanswer.
Do you want this question only answered by Dr. German?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is fine. Peggy Randolph
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your reply.
The majority of the gas comes from swallowed air. Some gas can also be produced by bacteria acting upon the food that we eat.
Hence to reduce gas, please try the following suggestions:
Avoid or limit eating vegetables and fruits such as broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, dried beans, green peppers, kohlrabi, lettuce, lima beans, onions, peas, radishes, melons, prunes, and raw apples. These tend to form gas. However this may not be true in all patients, and you need to keep a log of the foods you eat and which of them tend to form gas.
Avoid foods and beverages that contain excess air such as carbonated drinks, and milk shakes. Sugar-free sweets or chewing gum need to be also avoided.
Avoid eating too rapidly, or eating while under emotional stress.
Drinking large amounts of liquids with meals or soon after eating meals must also be avoided. You can have liquids after 10 or 15 minutes. Drinking may introduce air into the stomach especially when liquids are taken with a straw.
Exercise is also helpful since physical activity may help to move the gas through the digestive tract.
Probiotic yoghurts may also help, since the "friendly bacteria" should help digestion and reduce the symptoms of flatulence.
Take care.