Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have had GERD, and take zantac every day. About once every

Customer Question

I have had GERD for years, and take zantac every day. About once every six or seven months I have an incidence of regurgitation. After dinner, I feel like the entire meal is in my throat, and when I cough, the entire meal come up. I feel fine after, and able to eat. Ironically, every time this happened I was eating chicken. This has happened four times in the last three years. It happened a couple of nights ago, and now I have an appointment for an endoscopy, which I haven't had in probably five years. Should I be worried about cancer?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This is likely from the chicken meat intolerance or from the grease associated with it.

The fat or grease slows down the stomach motility and relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter causing the bad reflux.

PPIs like Omeprazole 20 mg twice daily helps in such cases.

You do not have any significant weight loss or appetite loss or significant anemia.

So gastric cancer is very unlikely.

Try to follow a high fiber diet, with small portion sizes for now.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/