Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have a term (about 35 years) problem with weight. The

Customer Question

I have a long term (about 35 years) problem with weight. The doctors have been working with me on this. I have been trying to get rid of it for the same amount of time. An endocrinologist I'm seeing has diagnosed me with borderline Hashimoto's Disease. I have been losing some weight with the addition of Metformin to my medications. Yes, I am prediabetic. The problem I'm asking about is the fat and skin at the bottom of the front of my abdomen. I have lost the feeling in the bottom skin on that pendulous part of my abdomen. Also, the fat in that area is hard. Is this common in people like me with metabolic syndrome? What is it called? Is it dangerous? Should it be removed?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
the loss of sensation could be from damage to nerves from your diabetes and from your excessive skin and hard skin turning into scar tissue.
if you continue to loose weight, you might need cosmetic surgery to remove excessive skin
hopefully with your weight loss, you can reverse your diabetes and have no further nerve damage
you should talk to your doctor about surgery options to remove excessive skin with surgery if you continue to loose weight.
let me know if you have questions.