Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have a step daughter that just gave birth and they are

Customer Question

I have a step daughter that just gave birth and they are considering taking her child to foster care. She has tested positive for cocaine at the time of her delivery. She has a long history of drug abuse ( rehab four times) and is currently taking methadone and did throughout her pregnancy. She has admitted to taking cocaine, but claims it was in Feb before she knew she was pregnant. She gave birth on August 1 and , as stated earlier, tested positive for traces of cocaine. In order to make a decision weather or not we are willing to assist any more financially hinges on a definitive answer as to weather or not it is possible to have trace ammounts for that extended period of time. We are desperate for a professional opinion with now vested interest in this case personally. Can you help!!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
urine toxicology screening for cocaine can be positive for about 5 days after use of cocaine
urine screening tests can pick up a metabolite of cocaine called Benzoylecgonine which can be positive in the urine for 5 days after cocaine use.
if her current urine testing is positive for cocaine, she must have used it within the last 5 days.
so you should not trust her when she said she last used in February. that doesn't sound truthful
let me know if you have questions.