Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a question on a few things. First I want to make sure

Customer Question

I have a question on a few things. First I want to make sure you understand lifestyle. For a few years (2 or so) I have worked in a high stress environment. I haven't had a good diet in about the same amount of time. And I quit smoking about 6 months ago. I've gained weight about 50 lbs or so and I constantly feel drained and sometimes at work I need to take a breath and relax because I feel confused or almost anxious. when I talk to people I get this tight feeling in my head. And sometimes it makes it more difficult to breath.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It is certainly possible that these symptoms could occur as a response to the increased stress and anxiety, but it also would be appropriate to consider other possible causes.
Have you have any recent evaluation, either a general check-up or an evaluation for these specific symptoms?
I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.
Although the symptoms could be related to the stress or anxiety, the consideration of other possible causes would involve some evaluation.
It would be appropriate to have a general physical examination, along with a general metabolic profile, a complete blood count, and a thyroid profile. Further evaluation may be indicated based on the findings of this initial evaluation.
If no other issue is identified, then it would be appropriate to manage these symptoms as a manifestation of stress and anxiety. There are some home interventions that can be done to ease stress and anxiety, such as getting regular aerobic exercise, participating in yoga, or performing controlled breathing exercises. There are also other interventions that can be done by your doctor, if these home interventions are not effective.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.