Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

How can stage 1a ovarian cancer last. Can it last upto a

Customer Question

How long can stage 1a ovarian cancer last. Can it last upto a year? Longer, less long? Assume that of the types of ovarian cancer it is the slowest growing one.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I am not really sure what you are asking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ovarian cancer has different types. Assuming the slowest growing type how long can you stay in stage 1a. How fast does it move.
That is completely unpredicatable.
There is no data on even an average.
It is also highly variable.
1 week, 1 month, 6 months,
You don't wait.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no data on growth rate of a cancer that has no definitive tests for early stages and kills 75 percent of women in later stages and is the 9th most common cancer?
Sorry I don't know what you are asking now.
You can NOT predict how many cancer cells would already be more advanced than the initial staging and tissue sample.
You can not predict how much the cancer has spread already, even in stage 1.
That is why waiting at all on this cancer is not done. Ovary is removed, period.
Stage 1a then can have a 94% survival rate.
If the tissue sample shows a higher grade cancer, chemotherapy is given as well.
So, as you can see, the question does not make sense. You can't wait. There is no way to say how long it will take for the low grade to convert to high grade.
There is no test to say you can wait.
Ovarian cancer ranks fifth in cancer deaths among women.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not trying to wait. I'm trying to figure out if I have been misdiagnosed with other issues because stage 1a ovarian cancer does not show outside the ovary. Isn't seen on ultrasounds or CT scans. The blood test for it is wildly inaccurate. I'm scheduled to have the ovary out. But I've had the symptoms for 12 months. So I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to stay in stage 1a for 12 months. If yes then great. Everything out and all good. If it ist possible to stay at 1a for 12 months then something else is wrong.The question makes sense. How fast does something like low grade serous carcinoma of the ovary (LGSC) grow. How quickly does it move through the stages.
A year without metastases is possible, but not likely.
Micro metastises do not show up on any scan.
Any mass, however, is not defined until it is removed and sent to the lab.
In that sense, everything is somewhat guess work until that happens.
Any mass other than a normal follicular cyst in a 48 year old must come out, as it is abnormal and potentially cancer.
Regardless of the time that has passed, as soon as possible.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am fining it hard to rate you.I found the information I was looking for in the annual of Obstetrics and Gynecology (2015 no less). It took a lot more work that I wanted to do, hence my willingness to pay.So do I think you should be paid? From an ethical standpoint it's difficult. I owe you money and would prefer you were paid, but an honest rating is not a positive one and lying to others, especially on the ratings of a doctor, is a particularly bad type of lie.
I am sure you can find anything I tell you, even on the internet.
My answers are correct, and any publication that tells you that you are OK at stage 1A for a year, and that this can be true without a tissue sample, is incorrect.
You don't have to rate at all if you don't like, but you are correct, we are only paid per positive rating.
You have not answered further questions, and my answers so far are correct.
If that seems difficult to pay for, I am not sure I can help you, other than to see if there is any question that has not been answered.