Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I was bitten by a BRSpider 7days ago, slight fever that

Customer Question

I was bitten by a BRSpider 7days ago, slight fever that night but then excruciating pain, swelling, itching and blackened area but no ulcer. taking APAP 650mg 2-3 times a day. Pain wakes me up, everytime I dose off, I think my muscles relax and I get searing pain at site and 2-3inches in both directions. oh, bite is on right arm, just above antecubital fossa. wondering if my activity level should continue to be limited or let pain be my guide. i'm getting kinda stiff in the arm. My pcp gave me shot of steroids on Monday.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
sorry you are having pain from the spider bite.
sounds like the pain is quite intense
you should see your GP doctor again and see if they can give you stronger pain medications like a lidocaine patch or cream for the area
or percocets or lortab pain pills to help decrease the pain so you can get some sleep
swelling and pain can be signs of infection as well. redness and warmth are other signs of infection. you might need a course of antibitoics for the area possibly.
when is your follow up appointment with your GP doctor?
or you can go to the ER for sooner evaluation of the spider bite area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your reply. i don't think its infected at this point. it seems the progression of the lesion has halted, it's the size of a large plum. I do have some pain meds i can take but try to avoid the narcs. My question is about acceptable activity level. Is there a chance the venom can still "spread" if i dont keep the arm immobile? I worry that if i don't keep it moving it may form scaring or lead to restriction of my range of motion in my dominant arm. can you help answer that? i don't wanna make things worse but want to be proactive...thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

No you don't have to worry about moving your arm and spreading tandem.

You can have a normal activity level and this will not worsen scarring

I hope the area heals up well

you can try to ice the region and do use your pain medications if you pain

Let me know if you have other questions

Thanks for using your stanc no you don't have to worry about moving your arm and spreading tandem.

I hope the area shows up well you can try to ice the region and do use your pain medications if you pain

Let me know if you have other questions

Thanks for using justanswer