Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a smoker, last week I have had really bad nasal drip,

Customer Question

I am a smoker, for the last week I have had really bad nasal drip, there is junk that just sits in the back of my throat all day every day for the last week, I wake up around 2 in the morning every day and my sinuses and nose are so dried out that they hurt and feel like there is something on the sides of my nose but nothing will come out, on Sunday I went on this site where you can skype with a doctor, I had talked with a doctor and explained what was going on and she looked at my throat and up my nose which was over the cam, she called in a prescription for amoxicillin and I have been on that for three days but doesn't seem to be working, can someone help me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Since we last talked, you have had two other experts tell you the same information that we discussed.
What further information are you seeking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am supposed to be leaving Saturday for a vacation, I woke up and my nasal passages are so dry, I still have the nasal drip, I took the antibiotic today and this is day four of the antibiotic and I'm still not getting better
Is there a reason that you are not contacting your doctor to be seen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because first he will be upset with how I got the antibiotic and if I'm on an antibiotic what is he going to do?
There are several things that he can do. He can -
  • He can perform an examination and any other tests to be able to determine whether the symptoms are solely due to non-infectious inflammation or from a sinus infection.
  • If it is non-infectious inflammation, then he can prescribe stronger medicines than are available over the counter, such as a short course of oral prednisone.
  • If it is a sinus infection, then he can prescribe a stronger antibiotic than the amoxicillin
An examination done over Skype is not an accurate method for diagnosing a sinus infection. Your doctor can perform a better examination. It also may not be able to make a diagnosis on examination alone, particularly an infection of the deeper sinuses, and imaging studies of the x-rays will better be able to diagnose whether an infection is present.

For any of the treatments that are stronger than what you can get over the counter, they still do not work instantaneously. So, if you want to be feeling better by the time you are scheduled to leave on Saturday, it would be better for these steps to be done today.

It is true that there is no real problem with going on vacation with post nasal drip or dry nose and sinuses, but if you want to be feeling better for your trip, you need to allow the stronger medicines some time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm also worried about going to the doctor and this isn't a sinus infection or inflammation and it's cancer!!
We have already discussed that it is extremely rare for cancer to present with these symptoms, particularly in someone of your age. However, the imaging tests to diagnose a sinus infection would also be able to reassure you that there is no cancer present.