Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a constant stabbing pain on the inner side of my

Customer Question

Hi Dr. B, I have a constant stabbing pain on the inner side of my knee, problem is, I never had this stabbing burning pain until after I had sex with my last partner. Do you have any idea if this is a disease?
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The stabbing burning pain is on the inner side of both knees. And when I first felt this pain six months ago, I wokeup in the middle of the night, and almost fell on the floor because the stabbing pain was extremely painful and unsettling; I lost my footing.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Is there any tenderness when you press in the area of the pain?
Have you noticed any action that makes the pain better or worse?
Do you have any other chronic medical problems?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is tenderness. And when this symptom first started (4) days after the sexual encounter, it was unbearable to even touch the inner knee area. I went to my Dr., and he said, maybe I had an injury. I told him, "I hadn't had an injury...these symptoms started after having sex". And the stabbing burning pain is constant...it never disappears. I called my ex-partner, and asked him again if he had any known diseases, he said no. But he then went on to say, he had been admitted into the hospital with pains within his inner knees, where the Dr's had to drain mucus from his inner knees. I was horrified, Smh. I asked him, what did the Dr's say he had, he gave a vague explain stating, some type of virus had attacked him. It didn't believe his explanation, Wow.!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am completely healthy, and I don't have any chronic issues at all. And the pain is constant, no matter whether I'm standing sitting, walking, or bending my legs. And when I do bend my knees, it feels like I'm squeezing a marbles underneath my skin/my flesh. This sensation really hurts me. I can't...like example...sit back on my legs while my knees are bent.
Thank you for the additional information.
There are several comments that are pertinent to this situation.
First, if there is tenderness in the area, that would indicate that it is most likely musculoskeletal. Yes, it can occur from an injury as your doctor stated, but it also could be due to muscle pain or musculoskeletal inflammation. In this area, the inflammation would most likely be a tendinitis or bursitis.
There are certain viral infection that can cause musculoskeletal pain, some cause muscle pain while some can cause inflammation. For example, parvovirus infection can cause musculoskeletal inflammation, most often as arthritis.
It is important to note that there is no sexually transmitted disease that will cause knee pain that develops in 4 days. I understand that you noticed the symptoms shortly after intercourse with a new partner, but since there is no sexually transmitted disease that can cause these symptoms, there is no reason for concern about such a disease.
From your description of symptoms, it sounds most like a musculoskeletal issue, and it would be reasonable to initially manage it as such. This can be done with the use of over the counter anti-inflammatory medicines, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, and local care, including ice and moist heat.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.