Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My father is 71 years old. He had a double pulmonary

Customer Question

Hello my father is 71 years old. He had a double pulmonary embolism several weeks ago. He survived and is in overall good spirits. He had diabetes and cholesterol issues - both under control with meds. He is on coumadin and most recent INR was 3.1. All of his other blood work is normal.
I have noticed that he had been feeling a little lethargic - meaning he is taking fewer trips around the house and kind of laying low. He has been home for 4 weeks now. At first I thought maybe it is some depression/fear given his circumstances. Generally speaking he seems to get a little worse day by day - as if he is just feeling down and under the weather. His doctor is going to have him do a sleep study soon - concern is maybe a lack of oxygen.I am trying to rationalize his current situation and understand how "normal" his present condition could be. Any insight, advice, and things to watch out for prior to doing the sleep study.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I understand your concerns for your father.

He has undergone lot of stress from massive PE, also diabetes, high cholesterol.

He is on multiple medications as well.

These can take a toll on his health at some point.

Medication side effects, dehydration, electrolyte abnormalities are common causes.

Also hypothyroidism, adrenal gland insufficiency, testosterone deficiency can manifest as low in spirits.

Depression is the diagnosis of exclusion.

Heart failure is also possible with such PEs.

Hence, echocardiogram also is needed.

Iron deficiency anemia, vitamin B12 and folate deficiencies also should be checked.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/