Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My mom accidentally took two doses of her blood pressure

Customer Question

My mom accidentally took two doses of her blood pressure medicine in one day. Does she skip the next day? She takes norvasc 10mg.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Yes, it would be appropriate for her to skip the dose the next day. The Norvasc has a long half-life, so the double dose will easily last through the second day. For drugs with a shorter half-life, skipping a day may be an issue by allowing the level to get too low, but this is not a problem for Norvasc.
The only other issue is whether she may get too much of a lowering of the blood pressure. For most people a single day of a double dose is not sufficient to lower the blood pressure excessively, but for people whose blood pressure is on the low side with the usual dose, taking a double dose on a single day may be enough to lower the blood pressure excessively. It is appropriate for her to be drinking plenty of fluids to assure hydration and to monitor for signs of a low blood pressure, such as lightheadedness, dizziness, or a rapid heart rate.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.