Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am wondering what a torn rotator cuff pain feels like

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The pain associated with a torn rotator cuff is usually felt deep in the shoulder. It is usually a dull ache, but can feel more sharp when performing actions that would involve the use of the rotator cuff muscles, such as lifting the arm or reaching behind your back. If there is a complete tear, then you may also be unable to lift the arm or reach behind your back.

The deltoid muscle is also involved in lifting the arm, but is not good at initiating the action when the arm is resting at your side. If you or someone else assists with the initial lifting of the arm, the deltoid may be able to function somewhat in the higher range of motion, even if there is no rotator cuff action.

The pain is also commonly worsened by lying on that shoulder, so sleeping is usually better achieved by lying on the opposite side.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.