Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I am a 39 year old woman and I've been experiencing anal

Customer Question

Hello, I am a 39 year old woman and I've been experiencing anal itching for years. I've been to colon-rectal specialists and a NYU dermatologist. The dermatologist suggested I had anal psoriosis, prescribed medication that proceeded to burn so he recommended that I stop immediately. The colon-rectal specialists said they did not see anything abnormal and advised that I should avoid coffee, red wine, spicy foods, etc. which I have done; however, the itching is still persistent. I also was tested for parasites and all tests were negative. Should I visit with a gastroenterologist to receive another consult? My primary physician prescribed hydrocortisone suppositories to soothe the itching; however, that is not working and I understand this can thin the skin or membranes; therefore, I should not use for a long period of time. I am terribly uncomfortable and am at my wits end. The itching happens all day.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
have you tried desitin or other barrier creams?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The itching is happening inside.

could it be psychological? like anxiety?