Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am taking oral compounded vancomycin -Diff bacteria

Customer Question

I am taking oral compounded vancomycin for C-Diff bacteria overgroth in my intestines. I am having a lot of trouble with pain and burning where the bowel movement comes out /What can I use on my raw but until this stuff passes and gets back to normal?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
You have already tried the usual over the counter medicines that can be used to help ease the anal pain and burning that you describe - lidocaine for the numbing effect and hydrocortisone for relief of inflammation. It also would be fine to use an oral pain medicine, although it may be better to avoid oral anti-inflammatory medicines if a hemorrhoid is present.
Soaking in cool or warm water may be more effective than showers or washcloths. Cool water may be soothing when you are sensing burning, but warm water can help to ease inflammation. Adding salt, either table salt or Epsom salt, may also be soothing.
A stronger steroid medicine may be considered if there is a large amount of inflammation, but this would require a prescription, so it would be necessary to see your doctor.
If there is a significant amount of spasm of the anal sphincter contributing to the pain, it also may help to use prescription medicines for easing the spasm, such as topical nitroglycerin or nifedipine.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.