Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I dry-swallowed a doxycycline about an hour ago and am in

Customer Question

I dry-swallowed a doxycycline about an hour ago and am in agony! I could not get to sleep but thought the irritation would subside. Then I got up and I tried drinking liquids to try to force it down, then eat some ice cream and even peanut butter. But it is still killing me!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
If you are having severe pain after swallowing a pill and cannot get any relief with fluids or solids, then it would be necessary to be seen. However, there may be some variations of this that you have not yet attempted.
You may find that carbonated fluids may do better, as the bubbling process underneath the pill may help to dislodge the pill. In terms of food, bread may work better than ice cream or peanut butter.
However, if none of this is effective and you are still having severe pain, it is better for you to be seen quickly.