Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have just had a sinus / ear infection i have also had

Customer Question

Hi i have just had a sinus / ear infection i have also had ct san of sinus and its ok.
What worries me is i have noticed a small opening in the top right corner of my mouth it opens more as i open my mouth then sorto closes as i shut i notice when looking in mirror.
When i put my tongue over itb i canm feel like pressue not much .
My right ear has cold air coming out of it and iots still a bit swooleen arounmd ear.
I am scared fluid is coming from my food or drink intop that hole and affecting ears . I really equlised the pressure alot dureing the infection and at times it felt block in the ear.
I am travelling by plane in a week i can still equalize pressure but when i swallow i always here crunching and i feel like little itchy bubbles sometimes are running up them .
Please help
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The tube that communicates with the middle ear, the Eustachian tube, does not open into the mouth. It opens into the upper throat. The anatomic location cannot be seen by looking into a mirror, as the palate blocks the view of the opening.
A hole or opening that could be seen in the upper mouth would most likely be the opening for one of the multiple salivary glands, and it is possible that the opening has become more prominent because of involvement with the germ causing the infection. Even after the infection has been cleared by the prior antibiotics, the opening may remain prominent for weeks or months.
If so, there is no risk that food or fluid could enter this hole and affect the ear in any way.
If you have a picture of the opening, then I may be able to comment further, but typically, there is no hole or opening that can be seen in the mouth over which there is any concern that it could affect the ear.
The crunching and bubbles that you are sensing would be most often related to the function of the Eustachian tube as it opens into the upper throat, but that also does not mean that there is any risk of food or fluid entering the tube. As long as you can continue to equalize the pressure in the ear, then you would typically do fine on a plane flight.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks i attatched a pic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will thst eventully heal. Its more like its come apart from me cheek flap ive dine all scans etc but just wsnt a expert opionin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i dont need you to csll just respond. I pressed that by accident.
This is not the location for the opening of the Eustachian tube, so is not an issue for food or fluid affecting the ear.
In this area at the cheek, it is most likely an opening of a salivary gland.
Yes, this will typically heal without further intervention.