Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

If I quit smoking by 35 how much do I reduce chances of smoking

Customer Question

If I quit smoking by 35 how much do I reduce chances of smoking related illness if I allreay have clubbing of the fingers ? The window test hood I still have diamond shaped window when I place nail to nail but my fingertips definitely took on a somewhat bulbous appearance so I'm wondering what does this mean long term eventho i quit smoking already , I am worried being that I have early clubbing I was told by a doctor two doctors but according to my ct scan and chest exray and pulmonary function test everything ok still but I'm curious as to long term prognosis being that I got clubbing allreay regardless that I quit smoking ,
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience.
How many years have you smoked?
How many packs per day, on average would you think?
Do you take any other medications, smoke anything other than cigarettes, or do any other chemicals/drugs?
Do you have any medical problems?
Are you having any symptoms that you feel are related to your smoking?
What did the CT scan show (OK is not a report ;) and why was it ordered?
what were your PFT results?
Sorry for the 20 questions but the more data I have the better answer I can give you....
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
18 years
About a sick and a half a day
Smoked marihuana for almost same amount of time
I was in Paxil cr 40 mg for about 7 years now I taking Wellbutrin 309 mg but only for the past 1 and a half months
Only symptoms we'll sign was the early clubbing
Pft result was 148% I'm guessing above normal or average whatever 148% stands for hopefully you know
Ct scan was requested by me to get peice if mind after watching my grandpa and his brother and my distant cousins who was only 53 all die of lung cancer
My grandmother too but she had Brest than stomach cancer which ultimately killed her
My ct scan stated I have chronic bronchitis eventho I don't cough or spit up any Mucus ever
It also stated I gave mild emphysema again with no sunrooms as far as I see no breathlessness Or anything like that'
Ciro,
Thank you for that extra information.
Of course the younger you are when you quit the better.
That being said:
10 years after quitting your risk of stroke is back to normal.
10 years after quitting your risk of lung cancer is about 50% of current smokers
15 years after quitting your risk of heart attacks, etc is back to ask if you never smoked.
So. As you can see it is good to stop smoking.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
I wish you the very best :)