Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have very chronic constipation from abusing laxatives earlier

Customer Question

I have very chronic constipation from abusing laxatives earlier in my life. I have tried every home remedy and natural product including lots o fiber bulking agents which just get me impacted. Eventually after 10 days I give up and take laxatives because I feel so sick but I have to take so many of them I think it's dangerous and I have dihiarea the next day. My gastro put me on 40 mg of liness and then bumped it up to 80 but it did nothing. Yesterday when incalled him and told him I was taking 40 senokt s to go to the bathroom every ten days he prescribed me 290mg of linezz. Am I going to have serious bad side effects from this? Also I take other meds in the morning. Should I wait to take them? Thank you annemarie
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidthe recommended dose for linzess or linaclotide is 290 mcg or micrograms per day for chronic constipation irritable bowel syndrome.so that is a pretty standard dose.Linzess comes in 145 or 290mcg pills.you can try it safely in your situation. hopefully it won't give you diarrhea,you should get a bowel transit study. you could very well have bowel dysmotility disorder and you might have to take laxatives to have bowel movements, not because you have abused laxatives, but because you have bowel dysmotility.try the Linzesslet me know if you have other questions.