Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I ACCIDENTIALLY TOOK THREE ZETIA INSTEAD OF MY PRESCRIBED AMOUNT

Customer Question

I ACCIDENTIALLY TOOK THREE ZETIA INSTEAD OF MY PRESCRIBED AMOUNT OF ONE TEN MG.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
This is usually not an issue.
Taking three Zetia may cause irritating symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, but it is not associated with any serious adverse reactions. Even does up to 50 mg per day is well tolerated for short periods of time.
The current recommendation is that the only interventions that are needed when an excess dose of Zetia is taken is supportive care if the few people in whom symptoms occur. So, if no symptoms occur, then no interventions are necessary. If you develop significant nausea or vomiting, then it would be OK to take some meclizine, a medicine that is marketed for motion sickness. If you develop significant diarrhea, then it would be OK to take Imodium.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.