Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had my hip replaced 9 months ago it has been sore ever since

Customer Question

I had my hip replaced 9 months ago it has been sore ever since it feels like a knife jabbing in the joint. my doctor keeps telling me it is just going to take time to heel. I Finaly got into another doctor to look at it and he is telling me that the hip that is in is the kind that is supposed to grow into the bone and the upper part has not done that to his option and the only fix is to do another total hip replacement again. My question is if I give it more time is there any chance that there is anything that can be done to make this bone grow into the replacement part and I have a X-Ray that the doctor showed me and pointed out why he thinks the join is loose. If I forward x-ray can anyone look at it and give an option if it is loose or not. I just want to make as much sure as I can before I have it replaced again when one doctor is saying wait and another one is saying it needs to be replaced
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidthere are ways to help grow more bone in the areayou should eat more calcium and vitamin D in your diet.you should go on hormone replacement estrogen therapy to help strengthen your boneyou should also ask your doctor for a bone stimulator for that area.I would try those methods first before having another hip replacement surgery.let me know if you have questions.