Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Did this doctor just ruin my healing wound with silver

Customer Question

Did this doctor just ruin my healing wound with silver nitrate? It took FOUR MONTHS to get here - and now it looks like it did months ago. The wound expanded. The healthy pink granulation tissue is now grey. How much damage did he cause and how can I reverse
it? WHY did he do this? This was, in no way, hypergranulation...nor was it even bleeding! Please see photos here: http://imgur.com/n7oRCSK This was not the doctor that did the previous excision or debridement. He just met me for about 7 minutes a stuck a silver
nitrate stick in my wound.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photos are here: http://imgur.com/n7oRCSK
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. DavidI am sorry about that doctorit doesn't sound like he was a wound care expertyou should see a wound care doctor or a wound care nursethere are ways to help this wound heallike vacume wound closure, silvadine ointment, MediHoney.Santyl can help get rid of the scar tissue and escar and help the wound heal up.where is the location of this wound?do you need help to find a wound clinic close to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's in a wound care clinic in Chicago...that's why I am so perplexed. Is there any possibility that what he did might help?Wouldn't santyl also harm healthy tissue? The wound is from a benign excision on the penis that couldn't heal for some reason...and it has been stuck like this for months. When it finally got close to healing - he put silver nitrate on it.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
santyl debris scar tissue and escar at the base of the wound to help with healingsometimes silver nitrate helps, but it is used more to help stop bleeding.it didn't sound like you had bleeding issues.you might need to eat more protein and vitamin C to make more scar tissue to healalso avoid smoking and alcohol can help you heal.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com