Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have had upper right hand side of stomach pain and been vomiting and can't eat eati

Customer Question

I have had upper right hand side of stomach pain and been vomiting and can't eat eating what does that mean
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello ,You could have one of several possible problems to cause symptoms that you describe. I would advise that you be evaluated by your doctor for this. Acute inflammation of the stomach or fist part of intestine (= duodenum) May hurt to the center to right side as possible. So a stomach ulcer or duodenal ulcer could cause pain and nausea and vomiting. The liver is on the right upper portion of your abdomen so acute inflammation of the liver is possible to cause pain nausea and vomiting....Gallstones or infected gallbladder may cause these symptoms ...So if you have fever plus pain and nausea/vomiting then this may be more urgent and reason to go to ER... RED FLAG type symptoms would include SEVERE ABDOMINAL PAIN ( severe enough to prevent sleep) >> abdominal pain plus fever greater than 102>> vomiting so that you can't even tolerate sips of fluids -- this may lead to dehydration You may benefit to try medicine to sooth possible stomach irritation such as,Mylanta or TUMS ...nausea may be helped by over the counter Emetrol or Benedryl or prescription Zofran or Phenergan.. If you were in early stages of a gastroenteritis then you may develop some diarrhea as well in the next day ... If you can't tolerate pain or have unrelenting vomiting then go to the ER If you have ongoing moderate pain or nausea then you may then choose to follow up with your primary care doctor tomorrow...I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if I may be of further help.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD