Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

6 months ago I took treatment h.pylori(2 weeks on antibiotics:

Customer Question

6 months ago I took treatment for a h.pylori(2 weeks on antibiotics: amoxicillin, clarithromycin). I was also told to take lansoprazole for 2 months. I took the antibiotics however I didn't bother with the lansoprazole.
I just got tested for h.pylori and the result was negative i.e. I no longer have the h.pylori.
I now want to get tested for Gastritis just to be sure the gastritis has also gone. I know one doesn't generally need to be tested for gastritis and can just check if their symptoms have gone, however in my case I want to get tested for other reasons.
My question is, as I didn't take the lansoprazole is it very likely that 6 months later, the gastritis will not have gone, or is it quite likely that, now that the h.pylori has gone, the gastritis has healed itself(without the lasoprazole)? What is the percentage chance that it has gone? Based on that I will either get tested now or take the lasoprazole treatment then get tested for the gastritis later. Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Well gastritis you realize is simply irritation of the stomach wall. There is the possibility to have a gastroenterologist perform upper endoscopy to inspect the esophagus and stomach. It is more often a clinical diagnosis based on symptoms. If you have a burning discomfort in the epigastric area then that is consistent with possible gastritis. If you have symptoms then it is usually THEN that you may be prescribed an acid reducing medication.So if you had symptoms then the next logical step would be to then take lazaprazole or similar medication. You would also want to restrict diet to avoid alcohol, coffee, caffeine, hot spicy foods , anti-inflammatory medicines( aspirin Aleve Advil) acidic foods ( tomato products, onions , peppers, citrus fruits) You may follow up with a gastroenterologist if you have any ongoing symptoms of concern. If you are free of any symptoms then there would not seen any point to treat further not perform upper endoscopy.usually upper endoscopy is more indicated for treatment resistant upper GI symptoms ... Possible symptoms of gastritis include upper abdominal pain, nausea, increased belching. I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards!Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HelloWhen I posted this question it said it was a gastroenterologist specialist that would answer the question. I specifically remember the profile it said master of internal medicine/gastroenterology. Also you didn't answer my question at all, it was a very specific question in a specific context.Is this website a same of some sort? It displays one doctor and then gives another? In addition the questions I have asked hasn't even been answered. Have I been charged for this answer? If so I am unsatisfied and please tell me how to get a refund. Thanks
Hello!
I have opted out of this question. Please wait for a GI specialist to reply. There is not a blood test for gastritis per se although this exists for H.Pylori....
You are not charged unless you are satisfied with answer and then ACCEPT an answer..
So not reply until another expert responds to your question or it would simply come back to me ...