Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a flutter/ bubbles in my left side below my ribs, near

Customer Question

I have a flutter/ bubbles in my left side below my ribs, near my stomach, had it for 24 hours now and also an ache under my left shoulder blade in my back. I had a laparoscopy a week ago for a sterilisation, do you know what it could be? Could it still be trapped gas?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Yes, this could still be trapped gas after a laparoscopic procedure. The time until the gas is absorbed can vary from a few days to a couple weeks. And the nerve endings along the diaphragm can cause discomfort that is felt in the shoulder, because the diaphragm actually formed in the upper chest and descends as the lungs develop and expand.
As long as the symptoms are not severe, there is no reason for concern. If the symptoms become severe, then it would be appropriate to be seen, and that would be true after any surgery.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.