Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My doctor increased my simvastatin from 40 mg to 80 about 9

Customer Question

My doctor increased my simvastatin from 40 mg to 80 about 9 months ago. 8 months ago I started getting muscle cramps, 6 months ago I started getting stomach muscle pain, then back pain. Then 2 months ago I got a soar throat, fever, muscle discomfort through out my body and feeling very very weak. I then lost 8lbs. in a 24hr period of time last week. I have been given penicillin for my soar throat (did not work), been given steroid medication. All my symptoms still persist and blood test show that this may be effecting my hart. Can you tell me what's going on with my immune system?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!I think that your issues and symptoms are a combination of some probably connected to Simvastatin and some not... Simvastatin May cause adverse muscle symptoms in about ten percent of patients ...especially the high dose so that makes,sense ....Your muscle cramps and sense of muscle aches and weakness I think are likely to be due to the Simvastatin.... I would advise also that you take supplement of Co Q10--- 100mg to 200mg per day ...the Simvastatin May deplete this nutrient which is essential to our energy metabolism and even more so in muscle tissue... With your current side effects I advise discuss this and work with your doctor BUT that I think that you should stop the Simvastatin here at least for a time ( now the STATIN group does have the strongest evidence that it may more effectively lower LDL cholesterol( the bad subtype of cholesterol--)more effectively than anything else...the stations thus may reduce risk of heart attack or stroke in higher risk patients on order of 30 -40 percent... However the muscle pain and weakness are the most common side effect and some people do not tolerate the STATIN group... You should have muscle enzyme level checked (Total CK) This can be an indicator of the medication harming your muscles and that should be checked... You should have your liver function checked with especially levels of AST and ALT measured. Sometimes the statins can cause inflammation of the liver...so nausea ...stomach pain...weight loss MIGHT be related to Simvastatin too... You mention heart but I would not expect Simvastatin to cause direct heart damage but I'm not sure of the test results or possible source of concern for that...( as noted it may hurt muscles and the heart is muscle tissue but the basic purpose of Simvastatin is to protect your heart..) Sore throat I doubt that Simvastatin is your cause. That so far sounds more common laryngitis perhaps ( could be viral or bacterial) I would not expect Simvastatin to impair your immune system .... I tend to doubt the Simvastatin plays role in your sore throat... You may benefit from Co Q10 100 to 200mg a day...Some symptoms such as muscle pain and weakness will probably improve off of Simvastatin or other STATIN... You may be treated for high cholesterol with another TYPE medication.... Discuss that with your doctor !! I know that you are frustrated with feeling bad. The Simvastatin probably has played a role in that but probably not reason for all of your symptoms.... I hope that this information is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD