Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Home from hospital pain free days with a non surgical

Customer Question

Home from hospital pain free for 3 days with a non surgical perforated bowel now has serve pain in his right shoulder that has been ongoing for 17 hours
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
If there is sudden onset of severe pain in the shoulder, it would be better to be seen quickly.
Because of the wiring of the nerves to the diaphragm, abdominal problems can cause pain that is felt in the shoulder. The diaphragm actually forms in the upper chest near the shoulder and descends through the chest as the lung develops, bringing the nerves with it.
So, if someone has an abdominal problem and then develops severe shoulder pain, it should be considered the equivalent of severe abdominal pain. In this case, with a recent non-surgical perforated bowel, the onset of severe abdominal or shoulder pain is a reason to be seen quickly.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.