Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I had an ingrown hair removed from my vaginal area and the doctor added stitches to hel

Customer Question

hi I had an ingrown hair removed from my vaginal area and the doctor added stitches to help healing. She said it would take 1-2 weeks to dissolve. Is this typical and does it tend to take one or two weeks? Nervous that it is going to take longer? Is there anything I can do to make them dissolve faster?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
The purpose of stitches is keep the wound closed and also to assist in healing. This will be beneficial and will prevent infection. Hence stitches are not something that you should be nervous about. They serve a very important purpose. The type of dissolvable sutures used by your surgeon depends on his/her preference and also on how strong the suture needs to be to properly support the incision and how quickly your body works to dissolve the material. Different types of suture will take variable time to dissolve. Normally as in your case, it will take upto 2 weeks for the suture to dissolve. Hence there is no need to do anything to make them dissolve faster and in most cases the sutures will dissolve by the time the wound is healed.
Take care.