Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My mother in Law blood sugar reading is 596. What do I do?

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Have you repeated the measurement?
How is she feeling?
What medicines does she usually take?
What does her blood sugar usually run?
I have not yet heard back.
If you have not yet repeated the measurement, then that is the first thing that should be done, particularly if she is otherwise feeling OK.
Please repeat the measurement and let me know the result.
I have still not heard back with the repeat blood sugar determination.
The first step when there is a significantly elevated blood sugar is to recheck the level to be certain that there was no error in the measurement. The home blood sugar monitors are quite good, but as with any manufactured product, there is an occasional defect that results in a false measurement. Even in the hospital lab, when there is a value that is this abnormal, they will repeat the determination to ensure that it is correct.
If the blood sugar truly is about 600, then it would be better for her to be seen emergently. This is both because of the direct effect of the severely elevated blood sugar, but also because of concern over what has caused the blood sugar to be high. In most people with diabetes, we are able to achieve much better control of their blood sugar, so that when the blood sugar is severely elevated, it is usually due to another problem that is causing the exacerbation of the diabetes. The most common reason for a sudden worsening of blood sugar is from an acute infection, but there are other conditions that can be present and a general evaluation would be appropriate.
So, if the repeat blood sugar is still about 600, then it would be better for her to be seen emergently.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.