Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am a 35 year old female and I have been experiencing

Customer Question

I am a 35 year old female and I have been experiencing several severe symptoms since July 11th. Prior to getting these symptoms, I was diagnosed with post partum depression and have been taking 10 mg of Brintellix. I have been on the medication for 3-4 months and have been titrating off for the past week. I felt notibly worse reducing from 10-5 mg, but my psychiatrist did not suspect this titration should cause these symptoms given the short time and small dose I was taking the brintellix. She suspected another underlying medical condition and suggested a workup. I visited an internist and she tested for pretty much under the sun. My symptoms even while on the meds were extreme fatigue, muscle weakness and joint pain. After going to 5 mg. I began to experience headaches, continued extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, joint and muscle pain, cramping, GI issues, dizziness, difficulty concentrating, feeling off balance when walking at times, cogntive fogginess/confusion. Symptoms have been daily and come and go throughout the day. I have been unable to function because of the severity of the fatigue and dizziness and have had to take time off of work. The bloodwork results were not well explained to me and I am hoping to have some clarification. The abnormal results were as follows: Lipid panel- CHOL/HDLC ratio= 5.4 (high); Cholesterol Total= 249 (High); Non HDL cholesterol= 203 (high); Triglycerides= 504 (high). My Epstein Barr Virus VCA antibody (Igg) was the only mononucleosis test result they gave me and it came back as positive at 3.63. I had the virus as a child. Vitamin D levels= 18 (low) and my CBD MCHC is also low at 31.8. Given these results, does it seem likely that I have a current active mono infection from a past infection. Is a positive VCA antibody (Igg) indicative of an active infection or would I need to get a monostat test to know for sure? I am concerned about possibly spreading this to my husband and children and was not told if I have mono or not. Could symptoms be due to something else? Thank you!!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
ebstein barr virus IgG positive means you have had exposure in the past to EBV virus. IgM positive means you are batting a current EBV mononucleosis viral infection.
you should get an EBV IgM to see if that is positive.
you need vitamin D supplements as well.
another possibility is that you are suffereng from worse anxiety disorder which can get worse if you are tapering down on the Brintellix. severe anxiety disorder can cause fatigue, muscle weakness, joint pains, cramping, GI issues, headaches, cognitive confusion.
fibromyalgia can also cause these symptoms as well.
make sure you have gotten your thyroid hormone levels and iron ferritin levels checked as well
let me know if you have questions.