Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had an Achilles' tendon rupture from the bone in February.

Customer Question

I had an Achilles' tendon rupture from the bone in February. The surgery was on the 13th of February. I've been through the hard cast, physical therapy, to the air case, and started walking slowly on it Memorial Day weekend. I went to my doctor appointment for a follow up and he suggested I start riding my bike. I rode my bike for only five miles, and a server pain came back. First with some small convulsions and spasms, and now major spasms that last all day long. I've iced it, elevated it, spent days not putting any weight on it, and it still very painful. Wakes me up at night with shooting pains. My question is, will the spasms go away soon? It's been 24 weeks since my surgery and I have to go back to work in August. I can't see my doctor until mid August and the pain is unbearable.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidthe 5 mile bike ride sounded like it was too much.you could have low potassium or low magnesium in your blood system which can cause spasms.you might need a muscle relaxer like baclofen or fexeril to decrease the muscle spasms.you should make a sooner appointment than mid august.or you can go to the ER to see a doctor about your spasms in your leg.have you tried adding more fluids and electrolytes and potassium and magnesium into your diet?