Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am having fairly severe Sinus pressure, pain, in upper Jaw,

Customer Question

I am having fairly severe Sinus pressure, pain, in upper Jaw, just cleansed my nose with Ocean saline spray, saw some slight bloody mucus out of left nostril. Post nasal drip is gone but tension remains the same. I've had two 101.5/9 fevers since last friday, every night I've had extreme jaw pressure and the post nasal drip wakes me up so i am now suffering from worsening sleep deprivation. Only 2 - 3 hours of sleep a night due to Post nasal. The nasal irrigation seems to help, but this time the pressure remains.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Have you tried taking an antihistamine/decongestant or any type of nasal spray?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried Benadryl and that made the pressure worse. the nasal irrigation is the only thing that off and on reduces pressure. I'm wondering if i just didn't do it thorough enough this time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cough wakes me up every time i try to fall asleep, this is by far the worst thing i've ever had in my life whatever it is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just can't believe the pressure. I do suffer from stress at times but no idea how it could be contributing to this this bad. could I be looking in the wrong place? Could it be Laryngopharyngeal Reflux? or a combination of the pressure so bad because of the extreme sleep deprivation? lack of complete irrigation? I'm just praying to god i get over this fast. I'm a sales director for a large company i need to get back to work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My upper right teeth are throbbing at times too. It just went away right now.
If you are having a significant amount of sinus pressure and pain, then it would suggest that the sinuses are involved. There are certain infections that can affect the entire respiratory system, including the nose, sinuses, and airways in the lungs. If there is a fever, then that would strongly suggest an infectious process, rather than irritation from reflux. There are several interventions that can be tried at home. Irrigation of the nose and sinuses with warm saline water is reasonable. If the Ocean spray is of limited benefit, then it may work better to perform large volume irrigation of the nose and sinuses, such as with a Netipot. It also may help to try a decongestant, and since the Benadryl made the pressure worse, it would be better to use a decongestant alone, such as phenylephrine. When symptoms persist for a week, it is also appropriate to consider whether antibiotics are needed. The current recommendations are to try to avoid antibiotics initially, as most infections will resolve with supportive care. But the people in whom antibiotics would be appropriate would be individuals with more severe or persistent symptoms. However, antibiotics would require a prescription from your doctor. It would be fine to try large volume irrigation and decongestant use first, but if the symptoms persist, then it would be appropriate to consider antibiotics. If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.