Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I just went to the bathroom and had red blood like a period.

Customer Question

I just went to the bathroom and had red blood like a period. Not a lot but some. I have not had a period for many years. I just passed a kidney stone and am goingto dr. for a mild UTI. What would cause the bleeding? No pain.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell whether the blood is coming from the vagina or the bladder? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vaginal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None the next time
Vaginal bleeding after menopause is called postmenopausal bleeding. It's often from benign causes, but can also be a sign of uterine cancer. It needs to be evaluated by your doctor.Your doctor will do an exam and probably an ultrasound. If the ultrasound shows a very thin uterine lining, that rules out uterine cancer.If the lining is somewhat thickened (more likely), you'll need either a D&C or endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix to sample the uterine lining). That may show normal lining, precancerous changes, a polyp, or possibly cancer.Precancerous changes can often be treated with hormones.Just in case cancer is found, it's the kind that we can often cure by hysterectomy.