Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My husband has Huntington's Disease and is in a skilled nursing

Customer Question

My husband has Huntington's Disease and is in a skilled nursing home. Was vomiting what looked like coffee grounds. They took blood, a chest x- Ray. He has pneumonia in one lung, renal difficulty and his white blood cells were high. They have sent him to the hospital and I'm waiting for a call from the Doctor. My husband is in second stage. How worried should I be? I. Am in a different city 45 miles away.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,I understand your concerns.As you know, Huntington's chorea can be associated with several complications over time.However the recent infection which seems to have spread to his blood can cause worsening of the renal function.This should be temporary.Stage 2 kidney disease is considered mild disease with at least 60% kidney function intact.There should be further improvement over time as he fights off the infection. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stage two Huntingtons, not renal. Is that vomit normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He chokes on his foods frequently.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for for clarification. The vomiting with blood is due to the stress ulcers from the infection. Besides choking suggests motor weakness or swallowing problem. This is seen with stage 2 or little advanced disease. Motor weakness is the part of stage 2 disease. So this is kind of expected with progressing disease. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****