Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I fell while cycling and have a gourd sized hematoma on my

Customer Question

I fell while cycling and have a gourd sized hematoma on my upper left leg. This occurred on Sunday afternoon. I"ve kept the leg as elevated as possible and have iced it a fair amount. The swelling has gone down some but is still quite substantial. If I elevate my leg, there seems to be little place for the drainage to go in the direction of my waist. I'm concerned that I will develop a cyst. I asked the "doc in a box" (not a trauma doc) about draining it and he said it wouldn't drain at this point as the blood, swelling was too dense. What do you suggest and how long should I wait to see if the spot will drain before going to see an orthopaedist. Is there an optimal time for seeking drainage of the area. Many thanks for your suggestions. I hereby release you from any claim of professional negligence.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidsorry about your fall.that hematoma in the upper leg is clotted blood. like jello.if the doctors stick a needle in it, it will not drain.you can have a surgery to go in and suction out the blood, but the blood could rebleed into the area after the procedure.it is best to continue to ice and rest and let your body's macrophages slowly gobble up those red blood cells in the areathis can take weeks to months to slowly resolve the hematoma,but it is really the best way to resolve a hematoma.icing and elevation will help some as well.let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have any other questions?